About Riddells Creek
Riddells Creek is about an hour’s drive from Melbourne CBD. It offers historic architecture and a relaxed country attitude. It is a rural/residential township, is in undulating country south of the Macedon Ranges. It is 15 km north of Sunbury and 45 km north-east of Melbourne.
The local bakery is a mere 5 minutes away and it’s a ripper. Watch the queues!
Have a picnic lunch in the Lions Park Reserve in the centre of town. Featuring a shady parkland with a playground and BBQ facilities, the reserve is bordered by a quaint timber Catholic Church, sports fields and the grand timber Mechanics Institute built in 1875.
Riddells Creek was originally settled by John Carre Riddell and Thomas Ferrier Hamilton in 1841, when they purchased around 640 acres (260 ha) of land and leased another 2,000 acres (810 ha). The road between New Gisborne and Riddells Creek is named Hamilton Road after Thomas Hamilton.
Riddells Creek is home to two historic railway bridges and is surrounded by natural bushland. There is also a small creek that runs through the town at Wybejong Park.
In 1859-61 the railway line from Melbourne to Woodend was constructed, and Riddells Creek was occupied by railway workers and their families. The Riddells Creek railway station was used to transport timber cut from the surrounding area, and a village developed around it. Riddells Creek became a small town in a farming district, but influenced by the proximity to wealthy landholders at Macedon and Clarkefield.
Riddells Creek experienced some urbanisation with the development of Sunbury as a satellite town and with the opening of the Tullamarine Freeway (1970). Between 1976 and 1996 its population nearly tripled to 1216.